Southampton Cup Volunteer Co-ordinator
Casual (2nd – 16th August 2017)
Southampton Football Club is a Premier League club competing at the highest level of professional football with a culture which promotes respect, unity, accountability, creativity and aspiration – this is The Southampton Way.
We look for people with integrity, compassion and support for those around them; people who take pride in what they do with an honest approach, who embrace a challenge while also being accountable for their decisions; people who have the energy and passion to bring an innovative approach to their role and strive to be different from the rest; people with the aspiration to lead the way and become an example to others.
At Southampton Football Club you’ll be given the platform to work in a vibrant, intelligent and challenging work environment with the potential to develop and become the best at what you do.
We don’t stand still, we are constantly moving forward.
What is the role?
The Southampton Cup is a brand new eight-day international youth football tournament, which is being hosted in Southampton and the surrounding area, involving boys’ and girls’ teams from across the globe.
There are already some of the best European teams signed up including Chelsea, RSC Anderlecht, Dinamo Zagreb and Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña, as well as a number of professional academies from the UK and abroad.
The tournament will become a key fixture in the calendar for youth football clubs around the world, bringing some of the most talented young players to the region for a ‘festival of football’.
We have an exciting opportunity for you to play a key role in ensuring the tournament runs smoothly.
The Volunteer Co-ordinator will be accountable for co-ordinating tournament volunteers who will be working during the Southampton Cup. The Volunteer Co-ordinator will be the main point of contact for all volunteers during the event and will support them where needed in their roles. You will ensure that all volunteers are at the correct venue and report any absences to the Tournament Manager.
Please note that you will need to be available from 2nd – 16th August in order to carry out this role. Specific hours of work will be arranged in due course.
What are we looking for?
The successful candidate should have experience managing a medium/large team of staff and experience working alongside them on a large scale event. You will have excellent communication skills and be able to confidently communicate with other casual members of staff and volunteers to ensure the tournament runs smoothly.
The competencies which are required include:
• Experience of managing large numbers of volunteers or staff.
• Experience of working on events.
• Experience of working on large football tournaments ideally for teams from a variety of nationalities.
Qualifications (incl. certifications)
• Must be able to travel in and around Southampton.
• GCSE’s grade A - C or equivalent in English and Maths.
• A current and recognised FA First Aid qualification.
• A current FA Safeguarding Children workshop certificate.
• Friendly, confident and approachable.
• A good knowledge of Southampton and the surrounding areas.
• Management and organisational skills.
• Proven ability to use own initiative, show flexibility and problem solve in a fast paced environment.
• The ability to be polite but firm when dealing with difficult, impatient and upset people.
• A good listener with excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Organised, methodical, calm and detailed orientated.
• Enthusiastic and self-motivated.
• Able to interact with a wide range of people.
• Ability to work well under pressure and maintain sensitivity.
• A willingness to work varied and long hours.
• Basic IT skills.
What do you get in return?
If you are successful you can look forward to the following benefits;
• Competitive hourly rate of £9.50 per hour.
• Branded Southampton Cup T-shirt.
• Packed lunch each day.
• Opportunity to work for a Premier League Football Club.
• Ability to meet new people.
• Gain new skills.
Please click here for the full job description.
Please be aware that a criminal disclosure and identity check will be carried out for this opportunity.
In order to apply for the role of Volunteer Co-ordinator you need to have previously registered your interest in working on the Southampton Cup. You will also have received further information about the tournament by attending one of our Recruitment Evenings.
If you are keen to undertake a new exciting challenge as a Volunteer Co-ordinator, please submit your CV and cover letter by clicking here.
The closing date for applications is Monday 13th March 2017.
Southampton Football Club recognises that the safety and protection of those children and young people in day to day contact with the Club is paramount. The Company is committed to creating a safe culture for all.
Southampton Football Club is an Equal Opportunities Employer.