Ethics and Regulatory Lawyer
Southampton Football Club is a Premier League club competing at the highest level of professional football with a culture which promotes respect, unity, accountability, creativity and aspiration – this is The Southampton Way.
We look for people with integrity, compassion and support for those around them; people who take pride in what they do with an honest approach, who embrace a challenge while also being accountable for their decisions; people who have the energy and passion to bring an innovative approach to their role and strive to be different from the rest; people with the aspiration to lead the way and become an example to others.
At Southampton Football Club you’ll be given the platform to work in a vibrant, intelligent and challenging work environment with the potential to develop and become the best at what you do.
We don’t stand still, we are constantly moving forward.
What is the role?
We are looking for an Ethics and Regulatory Lawyer to join our growing Legal team. You will support the Director of Legal in providing expert advice on legal and compliance issues that impact the operations of the football club as well as the other group companies. You will have the opportunity to input into and implement the overall compliance strategy to protect and advance the business objectives of the Southampton Football Group.
You will be responsible for drafting policy documents and advising on compliance issues as they arise on a day-to-day basis, and will assist the Legal Director in establishing and implementing a robust system of internal control to cover legal, regulatory and risk aspects that impact Group operations from a corporate, commercial and football perspective. You will also manage, coach and develop the Compliance Officer.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a candidate who has substantial expertise in a risk and compliance environment as well as corporate law. You will need to have a good practical understanding of legal and compliance issues and the ability to create innovative and commercial solutions. The competencies which are required include:
• Substantial expertise in risk and compliance environment as well as corporate law
• Good practical understanding of legal and compliance issues
• Ability to create innovative and commercial solutions
Qualifications (incl. certifications) Essential:
• Qualified as a solicitor or barrister in the UK or overseas, ideally 4-6 years PQE
Qualifications (incl. certifications) Desirable:
• Member of the Institute of Risk Management (or similar body)
• Proven ability to advise on a diverse range of legal issues
• Eager and willing to develop and tackle new areas of law with confidence
• Proven ability to give strategic and commercially focussed legal advice. This will include confidence in providing opinions on key issues and a willingness to develop innovative solutions that are relevant to operations.
• Ability to effectively plan and contribute to the overall strategy of the Legal team
• Excellent communications skills and a willingness to develop strong relationships across all business areas
• Confident in presenting findings to senior colleagues in a diplomatic but effective way
• Good team player with ability to coach and develop more junior members of staff
• Excellent drafting skills and attention to detail. Able to work effectively under pressure
• Must be flexible with working hours when required
What do you get in return?
If you are successful you can look forward to a healthy benefits package:
• A competitive salary depending on experience
• Two Season Tickets
• 27 days’ holiday per year
• Life Assurance Cover of 3x salary
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Incentivised Private Medical Insurance Scheme
• Child Care Vouchers
• Free onsite parking
• Discounted Southampton Football Club merchandise
Please click here for the full job description.
Please be aware that a criminal disclosure and identity check will be carried out for this opportunity.
If you are keen to undertake a new exciting challenge, please email your CV with a covering letter outlining your current salary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 11th December 2016.
Southampton Football Club recognises that the safety and protection of those children and young people in day to day contact with the Club is paramount. The Company is committed to creating a safe culture for all.
Southampton Football Club is an Equal Opportunities Employer.