Ahead of Southampton’s EFL Cup semi-final first leg against Liverpool, we take a look at some of the key facts and figures.
- This will be the eighth occasion Southampton have faced Liverpool in the EFL Cup; against no side have they played more in the competition (also Arsenal).
- Liverpool have eliminated Southampton in four of their last five EFL Cup ties.
- Saints have reached this stage of the League Cup for the third time in their history and first time since 1986/87, when they met Liverpool. The only occasion they progressed to the final was in 1978/79, although they eventually lost to Nottingham Forest.
- This will be Liverpool's 17th appearance in the League Cup semi-final; the most on any side in the competition's history. They've progressed to the final in five of their last six SF appearances.
- Southampton and Liverpool have kept three clean sheets so far this season; the joint-most in the League Cup alongside Newcastle.
- Liverpool have scored more goals than any other side in this season's League Cup (12); their highest goal tally in the competition since the 2011/12 edition (14).
- Daniel Sturridge is this season's top-scorer in the League Cup (4), netting a brace against Burton in Round 2 and also versus Spurs in Round 4.
- Jurgen Klopp has won seven of his nine League Cup games in charge of Liverpool (D1 L1), and has reached the semi-final for the second time in as many seasons.
- Saints have won six of their last seven League Cup games against sides from the same division; their only defeat coming against Liverpool in last season's quarter-final.