By SFC Media Fri 23 Dec Saints vs Spurs

Five memorable matches against Tottenham at St Mary's

Ahead of Wednesday's meeting between the teams, we take a look back at some classic Southampton home wins against Tottenham.

Saints 5-2 Spurs (September 1979)

The visitors led this contest 1-0 at half-time, with six of the game’s seven goals arriving in the second half at The Dell.

Glenn Hoddle had put the visitors ahead after 25 minutes, but soon after the restart Saints were level when Phil Boyer placed a header home from Alan Ball’s cross.

Spurs retook the lead within a minute of that strike, but Nick Holmes grabbed Saints’ second equaliser on the hour with a low shot after Trevor Hebberd had hit the post.

Graham Baker then put the hosts in front, before Mick Channon – making his ‘second debut’ for the club – rifled a form shot into the net, with Nick Holmes rounding off the scoring in the 74th minute when he steered home Channon’s cross.

Southampton team: Terry Gennoe, Trevor Hebberd, David Peach, Steve Williams, Chris Nicholl, Malcolm Waldron, Alan Ball, Phil Boyer, Mick Channon, Graham Baker, Nick Holmes.

Saints 5-0 Spurs (May 1984)

Danny Wallace celebrates scoring his second of the afternoon with his team mates at The Dell. 

Saints put five past Spurs in their final home game of the season as they continued to push Liverpool for the First Division title.

The visitors had made nine changes from the team that lined up the previous game played a couple of days earlier as they had a UEFA Cup final to prepare for, but Lawrie McMenemy’s side punished them by taking a 2-0 half-time lead thanks to strikes from Dave Puckett and Danny Wallace.

Wallace added his second, and the team’s third, on 67 minutes after benefitting from Dave Armstrong’s assist.

Armstrong – who had been named the club’s Player of the Year ahead of kick-off – added goals four and five past Ray Clemence to aid Saints’ goal difference heading into a close-fought tussle for the title, which Saints ultimately just missed out on.

Southampton team: Peter Shilton, Mick Mills, Ivan Golac, Reuben Agboola, Mark Whitlock, Mark Wright, Nick Holmes, Steve Moran, Dave Puckett, David Armstrong, Danny Wallace

Saints 3-0 Spurs (December 1990)

Matt Le Tissier struck twice to continue Saints’ Christmas revival, following on from their Boxing Day victory over Manchester City at The Dell.

Le Tissier grabbed his first goal on 17 minutes when he wriggled his way past two defenders before planting a low shot into the back of Erik Thorstvedt’s net for 1-0.

Rod Wallace was on target in the 67th minute to double the hosts’ lead, as he rammed home at the far post after Neil Ruddock’s header down found its way to him at the far post.

Saints wrapped up their success on 73 minutes when Le Tissier stretched to poke the ball into the net and cement his reputation as being a thorn in Spurs’ side for years to come.

Southampton team: Tim Flowers, Jason Dodd (Alex Cherednik), Micky Adams, Glenn Cockerill, Neil Ruddock, Kevin Moore, Matt Le Tissier (Nicky Banger), Barry Horne, Alan Shearer, Alan McLoughlin, Rod Wallace

Saints 4-3 Spurs (April 1995)

Saints took the lead on three occasions before eventually seeing off Tottenham in a seven-goal thriller at The Dell.

Matt Le Tissier was instrumental once more for the hosts, scoring two and providing an assist for the opening strike which was netted by Neil Heaney who glanced a header home with 13 minutes gone.

Teddy Sheringham levelled up and Ronny Rosenthal put the visitors ahead before Le Tissier scored on the stroke of half-time to make it 2-2.

On 57 minutes Le Tissier restored Saints’ advantage with a left-footed finish past Ian Walker, only for Sheringham to equalise again just a minute later.

Jim Magilton had the final say though, converting a 62nd minute strike from the edge of the area to seal a priceless victory.

Southampton team: Bruce Grobbelaar, Simon Charlton, Ken Monkou, Jason Dodd, Neil Heaney, Richard Hall, Gordon Watson (Tommy Widdrington), Jim Magilton, Neil Shipperley, Matt Le Tissier, Neil Maddison

Saints 4-0 Spurs (January 2003)

The two teams had met in the league at St Mary’s only three days earlier, when James Beattie scored the only goal of the game to lift Saints into sixth place, pushing Spurs down to ninth.

Few would have perhaps seen this result coming though. Saints were superior from the start and took a first-half lead through defender Michael Svensson, who slid home past Kasey Keller in the visitors’ net.

Jo Tessem doubled the advantage with a low left-footed strike, which was followed up soon after by Anders Svensson. The Swede's run and strike quickly settled any lingering nerves amongst the home faithful.

Saints introduced Kevin Davies to the action in place of Tessem, but it was Beattie who would have the final say when he followed up his saved effort to volley in number four with over ten minutes remaining, to set up a fourth round clash with Millwall.

Southampton team: Antti Niemi, Paul Telfer, Michael Svensson, Claus Lundekvam, Wayne Bridge, Matt Oakley, Chris Marsden (Anders Svensson), Fabrice Fernandes, Rory Delap, Jo Tessem (Kevin Davies), James Beattie (Brett Ormerod)