Take a look at the key pre-match statistics as Southampton prepare for the visit of Sunderland in the EFL Cup fourth round.
- Saints have reached the quarter-final of the League Cup in each of the last two seasons - they last did this in three consecutive campaigns between 1988-89 and 1990-91.
- Sunderland beat Southampton 2-1 at this stage of the competition en route to the final in 2013-14 - the only previous meeting between them in the League Cup.
- Southampton's last four games in this competition have seen 18 goals (F11 A7), an average of 4.5 per game.
- Charlie Austin has scored in five of his last six appearances in the League Cup, spread over spells with Burnley, QPR and Southampton.
- The Black Cats have scored and conceded in their last eight League Cup games against fellow Premier League opposition, winning three and losing five.
- Saints have met with Sunderland 66 times in all competitions, winning 25 of those fixtures, drawing 17 and losing 24.
- The last meeting between the two sides in cup competition at St Mary’s was in January 1985, when Southampton emerged 4-0 winners in the FA Cup third round.