Southampton have never played Internazionale competitively before, but there are a number of links between their current squad and Southampton's.
Saints head to the San Siro for the first time in their history on Thursday night and they share more than a UEFA Europa League qualifying group as some common ground.
- Inter midfielder Éver Banega and Saints’ Oriol Romeu played together on loan at Valencia during 2013/14.
- The Italian side’s third choice goalkeeper Tommaso Berni was a Wimbledon teammate of Kelvin Davis at the turn of the millennium. During that time, another ex-Saint, David Connolly was top scorer two seasons running (2001-2002, 2002-2003).
- Southampton goalkeeper Fraser Forster and full-back Davide Santon were at Newcastle United together for a short time, but never played together.
- Inter full-back Yuto Nagatomo is an international teammate of Saints’ Maya Yoshida, and they played together in Japan’s 2-1 win over Iraq earlier this month (main picture).
- Inter’s defensive midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia appeared for Lens against Jérémy Pied’s Lyon in a French league game during 2010.
- Summer signing João Mário, who is not eligible for the Europa League this season – is a former Sporting teammate of Cédric, while they both also line up for Portugal with José Fonte.
- Another midfielder, Gary Medel, played at St Mary’s for Cardiff alongside one time Saints loanee Steven Caulker in 2014.
- Attacking players Saphir Taïder and Dani Osvaldo have represented both clubs.
- Two Saints academy graduates have had notable games at San Siro, both against Inter - Alan Shearer scored twice there in a Champions League tie for Newcastle during 2003, while Gareth Bale scored a hat-trick in 2010 for Tottenham.