Check out some of the key statistics ahead of Southampton's EFL Cup tie with Crystal Palace.
- This will be the third season in succession that Southampton and Crystal Palace have played a cup tie – with all of the matches at St Mary’s.
- Both of those games so far, which were in the FA Cup, were won by the Eagles, although they were beaten when they visited Saints in the league in each of those campaigns.
- Southampton have won seven of their last ten matches against Crystal Palace, across all competitions, while Palace have won the other three.
- The last two League Cup meetings between the teams have gone the way of Palace, who won 2-0 in 1992, at The Dell, and by the same scoreline in 2011, at Selhurst Park.
- Two of Ryan Bertrand’s three goals for Southampton have come against Crystal Palace.
- Saints will be wary of Christian Benteke should the striker play, as he has scored in two of his last three appearances against the club.
- Saints have kept only one clean sheet in their last 19 League Cup ties against Premier League opponents, although it was a satisfying one when they did, as they beat arch-rivals Portsmouth 2-0 in 2003.
- In their last two League Cup games against Premier League opposition, Palace have conceded a combined eight goals, losing 5-1 at Manchester City last season and 3-2 at home to Newcastle in the preceding campaign.
- Saints’ record in the League Cup has been good in recent seasons, reaching at least the fourth round in each of the last five campaigns, and twice making the quarter-finals.